Thursday, December 6, 2007

He IS the PERFECT PARENT!!!

Ephesians 1:4-8

"Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!) He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son. Because of the sacrifice of the Messiah, his blood poured out on the altar of the Cross, we're a free people—free of penalties and punishments chalked up by all our misdeeds. And not just barely free, either. Abundantly free! He thought of everything, provided for everything we could possibly need,"

I first read these verses and celebrated God's heart towards me. But He then turned my heart to my affection toward my children...HIS children. When I re-read these verses through that lens this is what I read...Long before my children were born, they were at the forefront of my mind, their coming was all I thought about, they were the focus of my love. I took such pleasure in planning for their birth. I celebrated their coming with my closest friends and family with baby showers and 'lavish gift-giving'! But here is where it gets tricky...Do I STILL, 8,6,3, & 1 year later, wake up anticipating each day with them the way I once did? NO! Honestly, I begin each day begging God to help them to be EASY to love! To be happy, agreeable, and obedient children with smiles...THEN I will have joy...when my children are joyous! Hmmm...Sounds like conditional love to me. Oh, I still HAVE love for them...but do I actively SHOW love to them when they are wild, crazy, and disobedient? No, sadly I don't. I often show anger and frustration....SO, today He is challenging me to RESPOND in love as He does...not react in frustration. To remember that they are CHILDREN, they are supposed to act this way...That is why God gave them a mother...to TEACH them!!! UGH! I'll let you know how I do!

3 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Well said, Christie. Isn't it amazing how God teaches us THROUGH our children! I wouldn't be who I am today without having grown up with them....and I'm hopefully still growing!

Stef Swindell said...

Your so wise :)
So...how did your day go???

BraggFam said...

Can I say I live at this address. UHUHUH