Saturday, December 8, 2007

Our Second Pet

This is one of those random things in my life that I need the world to know. Our second daughter, Natalie, will be 6 on Monday. Natalie has a pet turtle....a plastic turtle. Here is the part that I need everyone to know.

His name is....TURD.

I still can NOT say it without laughing! I am the only one in our family that finds it so funny. HOW can they say it with a straight face...Let me point out that this is VERY serious to her. She and Turd are pretty tight. A couple of weeks ago while Tim was putting up our Christmas lights up on the house, the girls were riding their bikes, and we lost Turd in the grass. By the way, Turd is not a big guy. His shell is less than an inch in diameter so it turned into quite the search. There were many scary moments and lots of tears involved. It was very interesting though because once we noticed him missing Natalie, who out of our four girls is by far the most maternal, went into the natural 'I can't find my child' phases...

Phase 1: Routine Head Count, "Hey! Where did they all go?"
Phase 2: Think like the child, "Oh, knowing them they are probably..."
Phase 3: Ok, No One Panic, "NOT Funny, Get where I can see you NOW.
Phase 4: OK, EVERYONE PANIC AND PRAY!

Just so you can sleep tonight, we did pray and we did find Turd. I have to say that I was pretty excited to be the one who found him. It never hurts to pad your 'Best Mommy Ever' title.

8 comments:

Stef Swindell said...

If the Swindell boys heard that the turtles name was Turd...they would totally find it funny!!! And Journey, she loves potty talk too...you know, cause its funny, right?
I would never be able to take it seriously, so snaps to you for showing your concerned face and helping her find her pet.
Now she can sleep tonight :) with Turd.

shanna said...

I am literally laughing out loud. Oh my...how did a house full of gils end up with a pet turtle names TURD...I LOVE it!

Tim and Christie said...

I should point out that 'Turd' is short for Natalie's pronunciation of 'turdle'. SO if we Okies said it right his name would be "TurT the TurTle' But then we would sound British!

Stef Swindell said...

Turt the Turtle (in my best british accent)...you are cracking me up....and I need that today. I don't do well all cooped up due to ice!! Maybe if my kids would chill, but they don't...at all. Its like a stinkin zoo in here with cracked out animals everywhere!!

Gina said...

How cute! I think its a great name! You girls are so precious.

Jenny-K said...

In my own immaturity, I am laughing hysterically too. I think that's an awesome name for a turdle! Heehee! By the way, my son is in the potty-talk stage right now. I hear the word 'poop' about 15,000 times a day.

ArchibaldFive said...

I sooooo needed this laugh!!!!

Anonymous said...

that is so funny - we actually are taking care of 2 cats out side our apt and i call them both turds - all the time - i loved the name turd so much i used it to name 2 of my animals at the same time okay actually Mike named them - what can i say living with a man has really opened my eyes